OUR DALTON SSD ATTORNEYS CAN HELP
When you depend on your disability benefits for financial support, having your claim denied can be devastating. At McMahan Law Firm, LLC, our Dalton Social Security Disability lawyers invest time in your case, working tirelessly to help you achieve a positive outcome through the appeals process. If your Social Security disability (SSD) or supplemental security income (SSI) benefit claim is denied, contact our Social Security Disability specialist for prompt support or fill out a free case evaluation to tell us more about your case.
UNDERSTANDING THE APPEALS PROCESS
Appealing the denial of a disability claim involves several stages. It is in your best interest to obtain the counsel of one of our experienced Social Security disability attorneys in Dalton as soon as possible so that you can file your appeal within the required timeframe.
The appeals process includes the following:
- Your initial application is submitted to the Disability Determination Service. An appeal of your denial must be lodged within 60 days.
- Your case is reconsidered by the Disability Determination Service. You have 60 days to appeal a denial to the next level.
- The local Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR) assigns your case to an administrative law judge who reviews evidence.
- You have 60 days to appeal a denial to the Appeals Council (AC) by filing a request for review.
- The AC reviews the file and any written arguments. You have 60 days to appeal the denial of your request for review, which is considered the final decision of the commissioner of Social Security.
- A federal court review is limited. The court may only overturn the commissioner’s decision if it finds that the decision was not based on substantial evidence or that commissioner made an error of law.
- If your case is denied at the District Court level, you may proceed to the Court of Appeals.
Keep in mind that the standard of review gets harder with each subsequent level of appeal, so it is imperative to get a qualified attorney involved as soon as possible to increase your chances of obtaining a successful outcome.
Contact our Dalton Social Security Disability lawyers at McMahan Law, LLC, to make an appointment for a case evaluation.